Three letter code
Peptide Purity (HPLC)
Decreasing the therapeutic pipeline for vancomycin-resistant Enterococci (VRE) calls for novel strategies to enhance our antibacterial arsenal. Herein, we investigated the potential applications of surface localized antimicrobial display (SLAY)-derived cationic peptides in the fight against VanA operon mediated vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus. Through determining their antibacterial spectrum, we found that SLAY peptide 1/2 displayed moderate bactericidal activity against Enterococcus with minimal inhibitory concentration (MIC) values of 2-8 μg/mL. Furthermore, we observed a significant synergistic activity between SLAY-P1 and vancomycin against VRE. Mechanistic studies demonstrated that SLAY-P1 specifically inhibits transcription of the vanRS two-component system, thereby restoring vancomycin activity and resulting in the accumulation of the cell wall precursor. Meaningfully, the combination of SLAY-P1 and vancomycin prevents the emergence of vancomycin resistance. Consistent with in vitro synergistic results, the addition of SLAY-P1 significantly enhanced the survival rates of Galleria mellonella larvae compared with vancomycin monotherapy. Taken together, these results suggested that SLAY-derived cationic peptides not only display antibacterial activity against VRE but also reverse vancomycin resistance in Enterococcus, providing promising candidates for combating vancomycin-resistant pathogens.
Ideally SLAY-P2 peptide should be stored in a freezer at or below -9C. SLAY-P2 peptide should be refrigerated after reconstitution. For more details, please refer to the manual:Handling and Storage of Synthetic Peptides
- Liu Y, Jia Y, Yang K, Li R, Xiao X, Wang Z. Antagonizing Vancomycin Resistance in Enterococcus by Surface Localized Antimicrobial Display-Derived Peptides. ACS Infect Dis. 2020;6(5):761-767. doi:10.1021/acsinfecdis.9b00164
About TFA salt
Trifluoroacetic acid (TFA) is a strong acid, which is commonly used to cleave synthesized peptides from solid-phase resins and is also used to improve HPLC performance in the peptide purification step. By default, custom peptides are delivered as lyophilized TFA salts, and can contain as much as 10-45% TFA.
TFA in custom peptides can cause inexplicable discrepancies in subsequent assay data. For instance, TFA in nM concentrations has been shown to interfere with cellular assays, inhibiting cellular proliferation in some instances, and increasing cell viability in others . It has also been found to be an unintended allosteric modulator of the glycine receptor, GlyR.
TFA Removal Service is recommended for:
- Peptides that will be used in cellular assays
- Peptides that will be used as APIs or in manufactured products
- For hydrophilic peptides containing numerous basic residues
- Analysed Sequence:H-TTSIRRRYQVSLIRRHRGKR-OH
- Chemical Formula:C107H191N45O27
- Sequence length:20
- Extinction coefficient:1280 M-1cm-1
- Mw average:2539.94
- Theoretical pI:12.8
- Data Source:Peptide Property Calculator
GRAVY = grand average of hydropathy
Red: Hydrophobic uncharged residues, like F I L M V W A and P
Blue: Basic residues, like R K H and N-terminal -NH2
Green: Acidic residues, like D E and C-terminal -COOH
Black: Polar uncharged residues, like G S T C N Q and Y
Related Products / Services
• Peptide Services: NovoPro's peptide synthesis services include standard chemical peptide synthesis, peptide modification, peptide libraries, and recombinant peptide expression.
• Standard Peptide Synthesis: NovoPro offers quality peptides at the most competitive prices in the industry, starting at $3.20 per amino acid. NovoPro provides PepBox – Automatic Quote Tool for online price calculation.
• Peptide Modifications: NovoPro offers a wide range of peptide modification services including isotope labeling (2H, 15N, and 13C), multiple disulfide bonds, multiple phosphorylations, KLH, BSA, ovalbumin, amidation, acetylation, biotin, FITC, etc.
Please note: All products are "FOR RESEARCH USE ONLY AND ARE NOT INTENDED FOR DIAGNOSTIC OR THERAPEUTIC USE"