Three letter code
Peptide Purity (HPLC)
Periplanetasin-2 is a 15-mer antimicrobial peptide (AMP), derived from the American cockroach Periplaneta americana. This novel AMP exhibits potent antibacterial effect against several pathogenic bacteria including Escherichia coli. Distinct from the targeting cell membrane, which is the general antibacterial mechanism of AMP, periplanetasin-2 exerts its antibacterial activity via apoptosis-like death, which is physiologically and mechanistically similar to eukaryotic apoptosis. E. coli cells treated with periplanetasin-2 showed features of apoptosis in a concentration-dependent manner, such as membrane depolarization, DNA fragmentation, caspase-like protein activation, and phosphatidylserine externalization. These physiological changes were attenuated by pretreatment with the reactive oxygen species (ROS) scavenger, which demonstrates that periplanetasin-2 induced apoptosis-like death in E. coli by generating ROS. In addition, periplantasin-2-induced apoptotic death was affected by SOS response components. In the absence of RecA, an essential protein for SOS response, apoptosis did not occur and the antibacterial activity of periplanetasin-2 was decreased. In contrast, deletion of the SOS gene dinF caused higher ROS accumulation and apoptotic features were detected. Collectively, these results indicate that the antibacterial mechanism of periplanetasin-2 is ROS-induced apoptosis-like death, which requires RecA for proceeding it, and the role of DinF is assumed to contribute to the ROS defense SOS response.
Ideally Periplanetasin-2 (Peri-2) should be stored in a freezer at or below -9C. Periplanetasin-2 (Peri-2) should be refrigerated after reconstitution. For more details, please refer to the manual:Handling and Storage of Synthetic Peptides
- Lee B, Hwang JS, Lee DG. Induction of apoptosis-like death by periplanetasin-2 in Escherichia coli and contribution of SOS genes. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2019;103(3):1417-1427. doi:10.1007/s00253-018-9561-9
About TFA salt
Trifluoroacetic acid (TFA) is a strong acid, which is commonly used to cleave synthesized peptides from solid-phase resins and is also used to improve HPLC performance in the peptide purification step. By default, custom peptides are delivered as lyophilized TFA salts, and can contain as much as 10-45% TFA.
TFA in custom peptides can cause inexplicable discrepancies in subsequent assay data. For instance, TFA in nM concentrations has been shown to interfere with cellular assays, inhibiting cellular proliferation in some instances, and increasing cell viability in others . It has also been found to be an unintended allosteric modulator of the glycine receptor, GlyR.
TFA Removal Service is recommended for:
- Peptides that will be used in cellular assays
- Peptides that will be used as APIs or in manufactured products
- For hydrophilic peptides containing numerous basic residues
- Analysed Sequence:H-YPCKLNLKLGKVPFH-Amidation
- Chemical Formula:C84H134N22O17S
- Sequence length:15
- Extinction coefficient:1280 M-1cm-1
- Mw average:1756.16
- Theoretical pI:10.06
- Data Source:Peptide Property Calculator
GRAVY = grand average of hydropathy
Red: Hydrophobic uncharged residues, like F I L M V W A and P
Blue: Basic residues, like R K H and N-terminal -NH2
Green: Acidic residues, like D E and C-terminal -COOH
Black: Polar uncharged residues, like G S T C N Q and Y
Related Products / Services
• Peptide Services: NovoPro's peptide synthesis services include standard chemical peptide synthesis, peptide modification, peptide libraries, and recombinant peptide expression.
• Standard Peptide Synthesis: NovoPro offers quality peptides at the most competitive prices in the industry, starting at $3.20 per amino acid. NovoPro provides PepBox – Automatic Quote Tool for online price calculation.
• Peptide Modifications: NovoPro offers a wide range of peptide modification services including isotope labeling (2H, 15N, and 13C), multiple disulfide bonds, multiple phosphorylations, KLH, BSA, ovalbumin, amidation, acetylation, biotin, FITC, etc.
Please note: All products are "FOR RESEARCH USE ONLY AND ARE NOT INTENDED FOR DIAGNOSTIC OR THERAPEUTIC USE"