Three letter code
Peptide Purity (HPLC)
Antimicrobial peptides (AMPs) have generated growing attention because of the increasing bacterial resistance. However, the discovery and identification of AMPs have proven to be challenging due to the complex purification procedure associated with conventional methods. For the reasons given above, it is necessary to explore more efficient ways to obtain AMPs. We established a new method for discovery and identification of novel AMPs by proteomics and bioinformatics from Zanthoxylum bungeanum Maxim seeds protein hydrolysate directly. This process was initially achieved by employing ultraperformance liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization-mass spectrometry/mass (UPLC-ESI-MS/MS) spectrometry to identify peptides derived from Z. bungeanum Maxim seed protein hydrolysates. Three online servers were introduced to predict potential AMPs. Sixteen potential AMPs ranging from 1.5 to 2.7 kDa were predicted and chemically synthesized, one of which, designated NP-6, inhibited activity against all the tested strains according to antimicrobial assay. Time-killing assay indicated that NP-6 could quickly kill almost all the Escherichia coli within 180 min and Staphylococcus aureus at 360 min. Moreover, the simulation 3D structure of NP-6 was consisted of α-helix and random coil, and this was verified by circular dichroism (CD) spectra. At last, the scanning electron microscope (SEM) images of E. coli and S. aureus treated by NP-6 demonstrated that NP-6 had a significant effect on bacteria cell morphology. Our findings provide an efficient approach for discovery of AMPs, and Z. bungeanum Maxim seeds may be a nature resource to extract antimicrobial agents.
Ideally NP-6 (AMP) should be stored in a freezer at or below -9C. NP-6 (AMP) should be refrigerated after reconstitution. For more details, please refer to the manual:Handling and Storage of Synthetic Peptides
- Hou X, Li S, Luo Q, et al. Discovery and identification of antimicrobial peptides in Sichuan pepper (Zanthoxylum bungeanum Maxim) seeds by peptidomics and bioinformatics. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2019;103(5):2217-2228. doi:10.1007/s00253-018-09593-y
About TFA salt
Trifluoroacetic acid (TFA) is a strong acid, which is commonly used to cleave synthesized peptides from solid-phase resins and is also used to improve HPLC performance in the peptide purification step. By default, custom peptides are delivered as lyophilized TFA salts, and can contain as much as 10-45% TFA.
TFA in custom peptides can cause inexplicable discrepancies in subsequent assay data. For instance, TFA in nM concentrations has been shown to interfere with cellular assays, inhibiting cellular proliferation in some instances, and increasing cell viability in others . It has also been found to be an unintended allosteric modulator of the glycine receptor, GlyR.
TFA Removal Service is recommended for:
- Peptides that will be used in cellular assays
- Peptides that will be used as APIs or in manufactured products
- For hydrophilic peptides containing numerous basic residues
- Analysed Sequence:H-AGDKKIKIGINGFGRIGRL-OH
- Chemical Formula:C90H157N29O23
- Sequence length:19
- Extinction coefficient:0 M-1cm-1
- Mw average:2013.38
- Theoretical pI:11.57
- Data Source:Peptide Property Calculator
GRAVY = grand average of hydropathy
Red: Hydrophobic uncharged residues, like F I L M V W A and P
Blue: Basic residues, like R K H and N-terminal -NH2
Green: Acidic residues, like D E and C-terminal -COOH
Black: Polar uncharged residues, like G S T C N Q and Y
Related Products / Services
• Peptide Services: NovoPro's peptide synthesis services include standard chemical peptide synthesis, peptide modification, peptide libraries, and recombinant peptide expression.
• Standard Peptide Synthesis: NovoPro offers quality peptides at the most competitive prices in the industry, starting at $3.20 per amino acid. NovoPro provides PepBox – Automatic Quote Tool for online price calculation.
• Peptide Modifications: NovoPro offers a wide range of peptide modification services including isotope labeling (2H, 15N, and 13C), multiple disulfide bonds, multiple phosphorylations, KLH, BSA, ovalbumin, amidation, acetylation, biotin, FITC, etc.
Please note: All products are "FOR RESEARCH USE ONLY AND ARE NOT INTENDED FOR DIAGNOSTIC OR THERAPEUTIC USE"