Three letter code
Peptide Purity (HPLC)
The spread of antibiotic-resistant pathogens has boosted the search for new antimicrobial drugs. Proline-rich antimicrobial peptides are promising lead compounds for the development of next-generation antibiotics, given their very low cytotoxicity and their good antimicrobial activity targeting the bacterial ribosome. Bac5(1-25) is an N-terminal fragment of the bovine proline-rich antimicrobial peptide Bac5, whose mode of action has been recently described. In this work we tested a number of Bac5(1-25) fragments, and we characterized their antimicrobial activity against Escherichia coli, Acinetobacter baumannii, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella enterica, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. We evaluated their cytotoxicity toward human cells and their efficacy in inhibiting bacterial protein synthesis. This allowed us to identify some shorter fragments of Bac5(1-25) with a good balance between antibacterial efficacy, protein synthesis inhibition, and ease/cost-effectiveness of synthesis, suitable as lead compounds to develop new antibacterials.
Ideally Bactenecin-5 (1-25) should be stored in a freezer at or below -9C. Bactenecin-5 (1-25) should be refrigerated after reconstitution. For more details, please refer to the manual:Handling and Storage of Synthetic Peptides
- Mardirossian M, Sola R, Degasperi M, Scocchi M. Search for Shorter Portions of the Proline-Rich Antimicrobial Peptide Fragment Bac5(1-25) That Retain Antimicrobial Activity by Blocking Protein Synthesis. ChemMedChem. 2019 Feb 5;14(3):343-348. doi: 10.1002/cmdc.201800734. Epub 2019 Jan 17. PMID: 30615305.
About TFA salt
Trifluoroacetic acid (TFA) is a strong acid, which is commonly used to cleave synthesized peptides from solid-phase resins and is also used to improve HPLC performance in the peptide purification step. By default, custom peptides are delivered as lyophilized TFA salts, and can contain as much as 10-45% TFA.
TFA in custom peptides can cause inexplicable discrepancies in subsequent assay data. For instance, TFA in nM concentrations has been shown to interfere with cellular assays, inhibiting cellular proliferation in some instances, and increasing cell viability in others . It has also been found to be an unintended allosteric modulator of the glycine receptor, GlyR.
TFA Removal Service is recommended for:
- Peptides that will be used in cellular assays
- Peptides that will be used as APIs or in manufactured products
- For hydrophilic peptides containing numerous basic residues
- Analysed Sequence:H-RFRPPIRRPPIRPPFYPPFRPPIRP-OH
- Chemical Formula:C151H232N46O27
- Sequence length:25
- Extinction coefficient:1280 M-1cm-1
- Mw average:3123.74
- Theoretical pI:12.8
- Data Source:Peptide Property Calculator
GRAVY = grand average of hydropathy
Red: Hydrophobic uncharged residues, like F I L M V W A and P
Blue: Basic residues, like R K H and N-terminal -NH2
Green: Acidic residues, like D E and C-terminal -COOH
Black: Polar uncharged residues, like G S T C N Q and Y
Related Products / Services
• Peptide Services: NovoPro's peptide synthesis services include standard chemical peptide synthesis, peptide modification, peptide libraries, and recombinant peptide expression.
• Standard Peptide Synthesis: NovoPro offers quality peptides at the most competitive prices in the industry, starting at $3.20 per amino acid. NovoPro provides PepBox – Automatic Quote Tool for online price calculation.
• Peptide Modifications: NovoPro offers a wide range of peptide modification services including isotope labeling (2H, 15N, and 13C), multiple disulfide bonds, multiple phosphorylations, KLH, BSA, ovalbumin, amidation, acetylation, biotin, FITC, etc.
Please note: All products are "FOR RESEARCH USE ONLY AND ARE NOT INTENDED FOR DIAGNOSTIC OR THERAPEUTIC USE"